Welcome to CR@MRCC!

Welcome! Join us each Friday evening at MRCC in Fellowship Central. Dinner starts at 6:00 and worship starts at 7:00. We look forward to seeing you!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Meet the Team & Principle 7

Hi, I’m Angi. I’m a grateful believer in Jesus Christ who struggles with depression and binge-eating disorder.

I serve Celebrate Recovery at Memorial Road as the ministry leader for women. I love this role - and have the honor of helping women get their testimonies ready for our Friday night “large group” meetings. I also handle any special issues that arise for our women C.R. leaders, and other female CR participants. I love our CR leaders, and pray that I can be an encouragement and source of help for them. There are a few more things I get to do for C.R., but the above are my main duties.

I want to talk about Celebrate Recovery Principle 7 (R) which reads, “Reserve a daily time with God for self-examination, Bible reading, and prayer in order to know God and His work for my life and gain the power to follow His will.”

Frankly, this principle makes me cringe. I immediately feel guilty when I read it. I have trouble with consistency, having always found it difficult to commit to doing anything daily. I am thankful that God encourages me to start over, and that a big, booming voice doesn’t come from heaven, saying, “Seriously Angi? You sound like a broken record!”

But, today I am going to get a fresh perspective on this principle. First of all, this is not only about Bible Study, and a healthy, consistent “quiet time” with God, but also my “daily inventory.” This is the self-examination piece of a daily reserved time. It is a time to reflect and consider my actions and thoughts of the day. I can take an honest look and give it all to God. It’s like sweeping the floor daily, rather than putting it off for a long time, letting it get into a big, dirty mess that will take a lot of energy to clean.

When I do my prayer, study, and journaling time with God, I have felt free and light. Worry is washed away as I give my concerns to Him. It is easier for me to resist temptation, and to make the right choices in my day. When I have ignored this principle, or talked myself into starting “tomorrow” or after some big event, I am more likely to resume sneaky, unhealthy behaviors; stay in denial about aspects of my recovery; and give in to selfishness.

I like this phrase from Principle 7: “...gain the power to follow His will.”. My reserved time with God gives me POWER! It doesn’t just keep my mind and will aligned with His, but it also energizes me spiritually, putting me in the place I need to be to follow Him. That’s motivating!

So, I am giving myself a challenge and invite you to hold me accountable. Have you heard that some people in recovery get sober by attending 90 recovery meetings in 90 days? Well, along those lines, I will have 90 meetings with God in 90 days. I am excited about the blessing and power I will experience in this plan!

You can follow my challenge by clicking RIGHT HERE!!!   (  Here's the official blog address: www.principleseven.blogspot.com.)  Let me know in the comments on either blog that you are coming along with me on this challenge. My track record proves that I can’t do this, but I know through God, I can. In fact, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13.

Grateful Believer,
Angi

No comments:

Post a Comment