Welcome to CR@MRCC!

Welcome! Join us each Friday evening at MRCC in Fellowship Central. Dinner starts at 6:00 and worship starts at 7:00. We look forward to seeing you!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Step 8

I like to make lists.  Specifically, I enjoy making “to-do” lists.  It gives me a sense of accomplishment to be able to cross something off a list once I have completed it.  This past weekend Tara and I decided (when I say we, I mean Tara J) to deep clean our house.  Our two oldest kiddos were at Nana camp, so we took that opportunity to roll up our sleeves and clean until it hurt.  We made a list.  Sweep.  Mop. Vacuum. Unfortunately, that meant every floor in the house.  Clean bathrooms.  Windex. Dust. Do Laundry.  Organize Laundry room.  If you like to make “to-do” lists like me, you should be getting excited by now reading this!  It really was nice to cross off those chores as we completed them.  We had a clean house by the end of the day and all was well…that is until we went to Norman that night for the game. L

Back to making lists…step 8 reads, “We made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.”  Now, that is the lists of all lists.  I will be the first to admit that this was not an easy list for me to make, but it certainly was rewarding to cross those names off during step 9 (but that is next week’s step).  Making the list can be difficult, but it is imperative not to leave names off the list that must be on it.  No matter how difficult or uncomfortable you might feel, if you owe someone amends, their name deserves to be on the list.  So, I prayerfully make the list, asking God to help me be rigorously honest not leaving anyone out.

Finally, I become “willing to make amends to them all.” Willing. Not begrudgingly or sparingly, but I become willing to make amends.  This is an attitude of the hurt that requires much prayer and consideration.  I urge you not to take this lightly.  If my approach in making amends with someone is done in a spirit of duty or “this is something I have to do,” I want to submit to you that you are skipping this step.  And if you skip a step on the road to recovery, you will find yourself stuck wandering what went wrong.  So, as you prepare your list, also prepare your heart.  Ask God to produce within you a spirit of kindness and love as you prepare to act on your list and make amends with those you have harmed and to those who have harmed you.  Jesus said it like this: “Do to others as you would have them do to you” (Luke 6:31).

Grateful Believer,

Micah     

No comments:

Post a Comment