Welcome to CR@MRCC!

Welcome! Join us each Friday evening at MRCC in Fellowship Central. Dinner starts at 6:00 and worship starts at 7:00. We look forward to seeing you!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Name is the Syrophoenician Woman

In Mark 7:24-30 we learn about a Gentile mother with a demon-possessed daughter.    Jesus was focusing on training his disciples and preparing for his return to his Father by way of the cross and the resurrection and ascension.
 
The woman learned of Jesus’ presence and with much determination begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.  Jesus was busy.  Tending to the Gentiles was not yet on his agenda; however, she had much humility and begged for even a crumb from under the table of his saving grace so that her daughter’s starving soul could be healed.  Jesus granted her petition and she returned home to find her daughter delivered from the demon.

We don’t know what ultimately happens to the woman’s daughter.  I have two children, one of whom has some pretty serious problems.  Some parents have children with addictions or other obsessive behaviors that make it very easy for them to become codependent.  I can’t fix my child.  No one can.   Only God can change my children and they have to want that change. 

I must follow the example of the Syrophoenician Woman and meekly fall at the feet of Jesus and voice my petitions to Him.  At that point I must let go.  I take actions in my daily life responding to my loved ones with appropriate boundaries while putting all of my hope in Jesus.  I seek change in my life and share my pain with other parents experiencing similar struggles and I walk together hand in hand praying that my faith will increase and my heart will begin to heal.  I then live this before my children with the hope that they will one day embrace hope in Jesus and take their own first steps toward recovery.

That’s my version of the Syrophoenician Woman.

Grateful Believer,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment