Welcome to CR@MRCC!

Welcome! Join us each Friday evening at MRCC in Fellowship Central. Dinner starts at 6:00 and worship starts at 7:00. We look forward to seeing you!

Monday, June 4, 2012

The Dog Days of Summer


{Our new CR blog summer series is entitled The Dog Days of Summer.  We will be talking about summer outings/events/things in our lives that were “us in the past” and now, because of Jesus (and recovery), what we do instead of those things OR topics like “recovery doesn’t take a summer break”!  Should be a great RECOVERY focused Summer!  Stay tuned.}



Hello, I am a grateful believer in Jesus Christ that struggles with dipping and gambling, my name is Travis. 
When I was in college I would come to OKC every summer to play in a wood bat baseball league.  I would often stay with my friend from high school, girlfriend, or just some random person on the baseball team.  My Christian walk was not even established yet so I did not attend church on Sundays because I was playing baseball every Sunday. 
I worked for the state of Oklahoma as a construction worker and would often have to miss work because of baseball games.  My commitment to baseball during the summers was the only thing that I wanted to do.  I made sure that I was at every game and every practice.  I think back on this time in my life to wonder what was missing.  Who and what did I faith in? What would I sacrifice to play baseball? 
Now as a leader in Celebrate Recovery, faithful follower of Jesus Christ, and a guy striving to be more like God and His son I have the same attitude towards Church and Friday night attendance.  I now am chasing the ultimate prize of one day being in Heaven by following God. 

I know there are times where I would like to miss a church service on Sundays because of a baseball tournament for my kids.  My kids have games and tournaments on Friday nights as well, however I miss those because I feel that I need to be at Celebrate Recovery for me on Friday nights.  My Recovery does not take a Friday off.  My recovery does not have a rain out.  I have to continue to make a effort in my recovery to ensure that I am drawing closer to God. 

I encourage you through this blog to come on Friday nights.  Make God a priority just as you have made something else a priority in your past.  God will continue to present opportunities in your life to draw close to him.  The question is are you going to take it.  Dog days of Summer are upon us, what will you decide to do?

Grateful Believer,
Travis   

No comments:

Post a Comment