Welcome to CR@MRCC!

Welcome! Join us each Friday evening at MRCC in Fellowship Central. Dinner starts at 6:00 and worship starts at 7:00. We look forward to seeing you!

Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Cure for the Summertime Blues

I'm warning you right now: you're going to think I'm crazy.  You know that thing that some people have: Seasonal Affective Disorder that usually means winter depression? Well, I have that, but mine is in the summer instead of the winter. No, I'm serious. It's a real thing.  For me, it seems fitting that summer rhymes with "bummer."

I know it's crazy because summer's full of fun and frolic. Everyone is excited to go on vacation, spend family time at picnics, take outings to the water park.

But as the temperature rises outside, I feel a dark cloud inching over my mood. I usually forget it's coming. Sometime towards the end of May, I'll feel the darkness moving in and think, "Hey, what's the deal? I've been pretty depressed lately." And then I remember.

I'm a grateful believer in Jesus who struggles with overeating, in addition to depression. So, summer also seems like a minefield of food to avoid, like frozen yogurt, and popsicles, and home-made ice cream, and . . .mmm . . . oh, sorry - I'm triggering myself.

But, like a pitcher of (sugar-free) lemonade on a scorching day, one summer event completely refreshes me: the C.R. Summit. Every year a group from our Celebrate Recovery travels to Orange County, California to attend this national C.R. conference. We attend trainings and sessions to explore how to lead and grow our Celebrate Recovery program. In past years, we have enjoyed lessons from well-known authors John Townsend and Henry Cloud (who wrote the ground-breaking book, Boundaries).  But the most energizing thing about the C.R. Summit is that I am in a large room, surrounded by people who have chosen to take off their masks. They GET IT!
 
Recovery folks know how to worship! If you've had the chance to visit us and see how happy we are to be out of denial and into God's Grace, you know what I mean. Worship at the C.R. Summit is like that, but with 1,900 additional, happy people!

So, I will get through the difficult summer days with the thought, "The Summit is coming! The Summit is coming!"  We promise to listen carefully, and pour our renewed enthusiasm back into our program. Next year, why don't you come with us?!

Grateful Believer,
Angi

No comments:

Post a Comment