Welcome to CR@MRCC!

Welcome! Join us each Friday evening at MRCC in Fellowship Central. Dinner starts at 6:00 and worship starts at 7:00. We look forward to seeing you!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stressed Out!!!

Calendars get filled up with meetings and things we need to do. Our to do lists overflow and become unmanageable and frightening. We have expectations to meet, things we need to do, and things we want to do. All of this leads to one thing, and that one thing will rob us of our serenity. That thing, is stress.

All of us have stress and to be honest, we will always have things that stress us out. We won’t be able to change that. As long as we’re here on earth we’ll have stressful situations, deal with stressful projects or have people that stress us out. So, what do we do about it?

One option is to let the stress take over, burn out and eventually go crazy. That’s not a very attractive option, is it? Another option is to try and manage it. Try to get organized enough, get the perfect to do list, get the most inclusive calendar, and learn different techniques to manage the stress when it comes on. There’s nothing wrong with calendars, lists, or taking deep breaths, but they probably won’t work in the long run.

Just like our hurts, hang-ups and habits, the only lasting option, is to admit that we are powerless over time, our schedules, and other people, and give our stress to Jesus. You and I need to admit that we are powerless to control our calendars and that our to do lists are unmanageable.

Now, I’ll be honest, I stink at this, at handling stress. I’m a worrier by nature and I tend to internalize my stress. But I’m trying to do this in my own life. I’m trying to turn over my worries and stresses to Jesus, early and often. So, with that disclaimer in mind, let me share what’s been working for me.
There are a few passages of Scripture that are so powerful during times of worry, stress and fear. I’ve written these down on post cards and have them all over the place. They’re in my office, on the refrigerator at home, on my dashboard in my car, and they serve as bookmarks. This has helped me to keep them in the front of my mind and made them easier to memorize and focus on as I get stressed.

Here are the verses:
Philippians 4:6 & 7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I could write about those verses everyday and not get tired of them. If you’re a worrier like me, or if you’re stressed out, this verse is a great one to memorize and meditate on.

Another one that speaks to me is:
2 Corinthians 4:18, So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

So much of what stresses us out is temporary and, sometimes, not all that important. This verse reminds us to focus on Jesus instead of our problems.

1 Peter 5:7 tells us to, Cast all your anxiety on Him, Because He cares for you.

And Psalm 4:8 says, I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

There are many, many more verses that tell us to give our concerns, our worries, our stress to God, these are just four that I’ve come to rely on, sometimes on a daily basis.

So, what’s stressing you out today?
What’s looming on your calendar or your to do list that’s causing you to worry or fear?
How are you going to handle it?
Are you going to let it take over and burn you out?
Are you looking for the perfect system that will help you manage it?
Or, will you turn it over to Jesus today?

Maybe write down those verses, or verses that speak to you, and read them every time the stress begins to take over. Try to memorize them and talk to Jesus about your worry, fear and stress. I can tell you in my own life that it makes a huge difference. The stressful situations and people won’t disappear, but our reactions can to them can change.

Like pretty much everything in recovery, it won’t happen overnight, but it will happen.

Grateful Believer,
Johnny
{Taken from the National CR Blog, posted September 20, 2010}

No comments:

Post a Comment