Welcome to CR@MRCC!

Welcome! Join us each Friday evening at MRCC in Fellowship Central. Dinner starts at 6:00 and worship starts at 7:00. We look forward to seeing you!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Step 11

Step 11 has been and probably always will be a challenge for me, but it is without question vital to my spiritual health and recovery in Jesus.  Step 11 says, “We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and power to carry that out.”    

This step truly is a maintenance step for me.  Much like when I neglect to have my car serviced and tuned up, if I recklessly abandon all spiritual outlets of renewal and encouragement, I will eventually feel the effects of it.  If I disregard going to God’s Word and throne room for wisdom and guidance, eventually my spiritual tank light comes on telling me that I’m near empty.  And the thing that really zaps me and leaves me empty is if I ignore my deep, spiritual need for community.  For me, I improve my conscious contact with God when I am around other Christ followers in an authentic, God-honoring group.  

So, I believe that Step 11 reminds us that we need to daily fill up our spiritual tanks.  I’m not much of a Nascar fan, but I do enjoy watching the movie Cars. The opening scene of that movie illustrates well the truth and importance of this step.  Often times, we are prideful like Lightening McQueen and believe that we can do it on our own.  We believe that a pit stop to refuel and get support is a waste of time.  We believe we just need to try harder to accomplish our goals.  The truth is that we all need a pit stop to recharge.  

For our recoveries, that is exactly what a daily time with God is all about.  It is a spiritual pit stop from the craziness of the world going on around us.  God’s Word fills us up with encouragement, wisdom, strength, joy and hope.  That is why Paul admonishes us to “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly” (Colossians 3:16).   

The practical strides to carry out Step 11 are really up to you.  You need to decide when you will do this on a daily basis.  Pick a time and do it.  Decide what you will read.  If you are undecided, a gospel account is always good to begin.  Decide how you will meditate.  Sitting quietly thinking about God’s greatness?  Perhaps, you think best as you write or type.  This works for me.  The bottom line is that you must get started to experience the benefits of truly seeking out God’s presence through prayer and meditation.  So, get started!

Grateful Believer,

Micah

No comments:

Post a Comment